Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Data, Data Everywhere

As a Special Education teacher, I am responsible for reading, monitoring, and upholding 56 student IEPs this year. That's a lot to keep track of - here is how I do it.

First, I create a cheat-sheat accommodations chart for each class period to serve as a snapshot. Which student gets to use a calculator? Which student requires a copy of my notes? Which student needs restroom reminders? Etc.


I also include a quick reference for who their Case Manager and Guidance Counselor are, as well as either their Study Skills teacher if they have elected to take that course. 

That's the easy part. Then there is all of the data. 

In addition to keeping track of students' assessment scores and struggles with particular concepts, I have a page for each student for each marking period to track progress toward their individual IEP goals.

The top, which I cut off, contains personal information: name, course, marking period, case manager, etc.


I have one for each marking period. As their IEP meetings occur during the year, the goals will change and I will run off a new sheet for the next marking period. I track weekly progress quantitatively and then I have a ton of space at the bottom of the page (and on the back) for anecdotal comments. 

This year I bought a bunch of address labels and I plan to keep them with me on a clipboard. I will jot down anecdotal notes on the address labels as I observe something in the classroom. At the end of the day, I can stick them on the back of the students' data page in my binder to reference when I want to write comments or progress reports. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment