Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Day 1 - 2015

This is a draft of my Day 1 ideas for September 2015 for my resource level Algebra 2 courses.

When the students enter, the warm-up will be projected on the board. I want to get them in the habit of completing a do-now activity each day. Obviously, I also included directions to sign up for my Remind alerts.


The boring stuff needs to happen. I'll distribute the Course Outline (which parents need to sign) and the Family Info Sheet. But I made the information from the Course Outline into a fun and quick presentation. I had done this last year so I just needed to tweak it with changes I am implementing in my special ed classes. For example, Class Cash. I am going to reward students for participation, preparedness, and positive behavior with Class Cash. At the end of the marking period, this will become a participation grade. 




There must be math on the first day! Unfortunately, I know a lot of my students have tremendous anxiety about coming to school so I did not want to give them a group activity that involved a lot of social skills on day 1. That just comes with the population I teach. I also know that a lot of my students will not have picked up their Chromebooks yet, so I needed something that could be done on paper. Enter this Math Symbols worksheet. You would be amazed how many high-schoolers do not know what some of these symbols are. Hopefully working together with a partner, this will be an easy introduction and get their math minds out of summer mode! 


Like last year, I want my students to fill out a Welcome Survey for homework on Day 1 so that I can start to get to know them both as quirky teenagers and as budding mathematicians! :)





That's Day 1 in a nutshell for my resource level classes. I am planning to get started with content right away on Day 2!



0 comments:

Post a Comment